Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nongshim Kal Guk Soo Korean Style Noodle Soup


Country of origin: Korea
Bought at Choi's Oriental Foods in Huntsville, AL

This one may win an award for best noodle name. KAL GUK SOO!! That's just damn fun to say. I wish I could get excited about these in some other way but I've already tried them as I write this review... you'll see what I mean in a minute.


So here's the sorta funky looking noodle block and two packs of stuff. I don't like it when I see this style of noodle in a pack of ramen because I tend to associate it with low quality ramen like the Payless Pancit Shanghai or the Vifon Pho Bo. I am reminded, however, that I am the Ramenator and must prevail for the ramen munchers everywhere.


So I cook it up. It took about 5 minutes in the microwave for the noodles to get tender enough to where I'd even consider eating them. Not a good sign. Then I pull it out the microwave and smell what I'm about to ingest and am hit in the face with the smell of stank-fish. I had to hyphenate that to get an accurate amount of stank across. Have you ever smelled stanky fish? Then you know what these smell like. And guess what? They taste like stank fish, too. Yuck and double yuck. Don't get these. Shame on you, Nongshim. You make so many delicious varieties of noodles but this one slipped by your quality control. There may be some out there somewhere that enjoy these. God help you. These are nasty as hell. 0/10.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with the above personal stunky 'tase & smell' buds comments! I like 'wide' noodles of all sorts better than 'thin curlly' ones, and when cooking (in a microwave oven and cover the bowl with a lid) I normally add some other ingredients eg. chopped onions, eggs, vegies, fish or meats to make a perfect meal (and I eat it with some crackers too, yammm!). I want to buy a whole box can you tell me where I can order on line? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's your opinion, chief. As far as places to buy them online, check out www.ramenbox.com www.hmart.com or just search Google for "buy ramen online". There are a wealth of places!

    ReplyDelete