Friday, February 7, 2014

Myojo Yomise-No Yakisoba Oriental Flavor with Mayonnaise


Country of origin: Japan
Bought at Tokyo Asian Food in Hoover, AL

I just want to say something up front. I don't think I've ever seen this much thought and ingenuity put into a yakisoba before. I was extremely impressed with the way this product was engineered and the sheer amount of time and thought that was put into these noodles. You'll see what I mean.
So, yakisoba is a Japanese word that literally means "fried noodles." You've no doubt seen those Maruchan yakisoba trays over with the cup noodles and Nissin's attempt at it also which they call "chow mein," which is Chinese for, you guessed it, "fried noodles." I've tried a few different kinds of both and they aren't bad by any means but just not really my cup o' noodles.
I have pretty high expectations of Myojo products as I've tried a few of their other offerings and found them all to be very good so I hope this lives up to the hype. I must admit I'm a little unsure about the mayonnaise since I'm just not a huge mayonnaise fan, but my girlfriend is, so I got her to help me review these. Alright, here we go!


So this is what we see upon removing the wrapper, some detailed instructions and a very well drawn diagram. It specifically says not to microwave, and thankfully we have our awesome 1970s harvest gold tea kettle at the ready so this shall not hinder us.

I like going to yard sales.


Pretty sweet, huh? Anyway, I heated up some water and opened the package.


There's a SAUCE pack, a SPICE pack, and huge vegetable pack, and a fairly standard if not cute looking pack of mayonnaise like you'd see at a fast food joint. The directions say to add the veggies to the noodles before adding the water, so we do so and proceed to let them steam.


I needed something to hold the tray closed so I figured I'd use these humorously named cookies from Malaysia I picked up on the same visit. They steam for three minutes or so and then it's time to drain, which is a semi pain when you're making one of those yakisoba things, am I right? Wait, what's this???

They built a fucking drain into the package under that other flap up there. Holy shite, they thought of everything! The built in drain makes the draining process very easy as you can imagine. Then it's time to mix everything up and put the mayo on top.

  

Like so. This is a very cool concept and very well designed, and I also like the fact that one of the main included vegetables is broccoli, which I've never seen before in an instant noodle. Very cool! So how do they taste?
I let my girlfriend try them first and she thought they were pretty damn good, saying they are a little spicy but not much and she really likes the taste of the mayo along with everything else. She finished them off without hesitation after giving me a taste. I thought they were pretty good, definitely better than I expected them to be with the mayo, which wasn't overpowering in the least. This one gets a lot of points for originality and tastiness so I'm giving it an 8/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment