Sunday, October 10, 2010

Samyang Kimchi Ramen


Country of origin: Korea
Bought at: Tokyo Asian Food in Hoover, AL
Price: 99¢
Kimchi flavored ramen… sounds delicious right? Actually I’ve never eaten kimchi, and until recently I had no idea what kimchi actually is. Turns out it’s the potatoes of Korean food, and goes with just about any Korean meal. It’s pickled vegetables, usually cabbage. Doesn’t exactly sound good, but I do like vinegary tasting stuff, so we press on!


One thing I really like about Samyang noodles is that you get a bigass block o’ noodles in most if not all of their ramen packs. The noodles are always good quality, too and have a pleasant texture. In this package you also get a package of soup base which smells very peppery  and is the color of paprika as well as a package of “FLAKE.” Man, some flake sure sounds good right now… it’s flakes of dehydrated cabbage and scallions. Alright, let’s give it a try. When you’re cooking these the noodle block is bigger than normal so I microwaved this one for 4 1/2 minutes and the texture of the noodles was about perfect. Just a bit of advice.


Here’s the whole shebang. These smell really good! You can see some scallions in the picture and the soup has a nice color. So how does it taste? I like these. The noodles are good quality as all Samyang noodles I’ve had are and they have enough spice to call it spicy but not overly spicy, so don’t be afraid to try these if you aren’t a big fan of spicy food. As I said before I’ve never eaten kimchi so I don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like but if it tastes like this soup I may have to try it. I’m giving this one an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment