Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dragonfly Mee-Goreng Dry Ramen Noodles


Country of origin: China
Bought at Super Oriental Market

So now for an actual review! I wouldn't think it would be this way but I am surprised at how few of the different ramens I've eaten come from China. Most are from Korea, Indonesia and the Philippines. We in the US definitely have no shortage of imports from China so maybe there are more out there that I just haven't found yet. Anyway, whenever I see mi goreng or mee goreng on a package I get excited because I love this type of noodles. Let's see how these measure up.


I just felt like making this picture really big. It's a good size noodle block (110g) which is unusual for a mi goreng noodle, which is a big plus here. There's two color coordinated packs of stuff, a seasoning pack and a flavoring sauce with a slight funky smell. I cooked these in a pot for about five minutes (the package recommended three) and the consistency was pretty good. I don't think these are very high quality noodles but not bad either, about Top Ramen quality. Here's what I ended up with:


Looks like a pretty standard noodle bowl. The noodles sort of uncurled a bit more than normal, anyone else notice that? These are actually pretty dang good, they have a sort of beef ramen taste with a strange, sort of sweet taste also and a funky ass aftertaste. A quick check of the fairly short ingredient list reveals pork flavor and caramel! You can actually taste it in here, too. If you like ramen noodles that aren't a soup then you should definitely check these out. The only downside is the funky aftertaste, which I can still taste now even though I ate these about four hours ago. I'm giving these an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment