Thursday, December 9, 2010

Samyang Hot Beef Flavor Ramen


Country of origin: Korea
Bought at Tokyo Asian Food in Hoover, AL for 99c

This may be the only variety of Samyang I haven't tried. Not sure. They may have a lot of less common flavors lurking out there somewhere in the ramen world. As I've said before, Samyang makes some of the best noodles I've ever had so my expectations of these are kinda high. That, coupled with these being a hot & spicy flavor which I also like. Here we go!


The very colorful if not patriotic looking pack of stuff with other packs of stuff. As with other Samyangs there's a pack of SOUP and pack of FLAKE. The FLAKE is the usual stuff, carrots, green onions and a few very small pieces of mushroom. The SOUP smells like paprika and chili powder, which combined is probably 90% of its makeup. Gotta say I really like the bright colors here. Looks spiffy.


So here's what I ended up with. The noodles themselves are just what I would expect and just as good as other Samyang ramens, meaning they are very good quality. There's a decent amount of veggies in the veggie pack even though it is mostly green onions (there's a little bit of cabbage in there too). This one tastes more like the kimchi ramen than a beef ramen. It's a little bit spicier than the kimchi but not much. This one would probably be spicy to people who aren't used to eating spicy food but to me it ranks a "meh" on the spiceometer. "Meh" is about a notch and a half above "not spicy at dang all." Shin Ramyun still holds the gold medal for pure spiciness in terms of heat. So, overall not bad by any means, just not as spicy as advertised. Still a good bowl o' ramen. I would've given this one an 8/10 but I'm deducting a point for semi-false advertising. 7/10.

1 comment:

  1. Weird. I usually buy this because it strikes me as spicier than Shin Ramyun. I usually have to add cayenne to that stuff.

    ReplyDelete