Monday, December 27, 2010

Payless Pancit Canton Xtra Big Extra Hot Flavor!


Country of origin: Philippines
Bought at Sunrise Market in Knoxville, TN

I was a little leery about trying something from a brand called Payless... brings back memories of Econo-Save from The Simpsons. It really is xtra big, weighing in at 130g which is bigger than even a Samyang block and therefore the biggest packa ramen I've ever reviewed. It also lives up to the name Payless because it only cost about 50 cents despite being such a big messa noodles. My job is to see if it lives up to the other claim on the package, EXTRA HOT! I've eaten two other pancit canton noodles (which basically just means "Cantonese noodles") and both were pretty good. I like that they aren't a soup but a bowl of noodles which is nice for a change of pace and also because I tend to really like ramen that isn't a soup. So here goes nothin!


Giant ass noodle block with three packs of stuff. The soup base smells kinda spicy but not much else, then there's soy sauce and some white pasty stuff which has a smell like Chinese food. You know that Chinese food smell. Yep, that one. It said on the pack to cook it for three minutes but I ended up cooking them for four to get them about where I like them. The package also exclaims proudly that these are "Now firmer noodles!" Good to know.


So here we are. It certainly is a lot of noodles. If it doesn't look like a ton that's cause these are in a really, really big bowl. My regular ramen bowl was in the dishwasher so I made do with what I could find. Anyhow, these have a good amount of taste to them and are definitely not plain by any means, but spicy? Not really. There is a little bit of spice here but I would not even come close to calling them spicy. My only other complaint is that the white pasty stuff didn't seem to want to mix in with the other ingredients, and I bit in to a chunk of it while I was eating them which was not pleasant. Overall, however, I liked these. They had a pleasant almost Chinese lo mein feel about them only with ramen noodles. If you can get the stuff mixed up well enough they taste very good and I would definitely eat these again when I'm hungry, hence the large amount of noodles which isn't seen too terribly often in a noodle pack that isn't a soup. I'm giving these an 8/10.

3 comments:

  1. Last week bumili ako ng Payless pancit cantoon xtra big...at first talagang nagustuhan kong bilhin kasi nga extra big tapos 13 pesos lang ang pack...but sad to say kulang sa seasoning yung nabili ko..as in! yung oil at sauce lang ang meron but walang flavoured powder..tuloy tinapon ko nalang kasi wla namang lasa nung tinikman ko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story, Darwin? Sayang naman yung noodles. Sana nagbukas ka na lang ng isa pang pack para kahit paano nagkalasa naman nang kaunti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are definitely worth another try, Darwin. I thought they were delicious!

    Ito ay tiyak na nagkakahalaga ng isa pang subukan, Darwin.Akala ko sila ay masarap!

    ReplyDelete