Sunday, December 26, 2010

Shin Hsin Fa Sparerib Flavor Noodles


Country of origin: Taiwan
Bought at Sunrise Market in Knoxville, TN

Spare rib flavor noodles? You gotta be kiddin me. At least that's what I thought when I saw these. The company that makes these is a fairly big Taiwanese noodle producer from what I gather... just about everything I can find about them is in Chinese or takes me to a link for the Taiwanese Nationalist Liberation Party. But I digress. What I'm trying to say here is that the store I bought these from had a bunch of different flavors and I picked a few up. I thought spare rib flavor sounded pretty interesting and potentially either pretty good or incredibly nasty so here goes nothin'!


Regular ol' noodle block with a pack of grease and a pack of soup base. It smells really beefy with kind of a smoky smell also... reminiscent of barbecue? Hmmm...


It's a bowl of greasy goodness. The oil in the pack is some seriously greasy stuff. They look pretty dang plain from up here, which kind of adds to the creepiness of the simulated barbecue taste and smell. They obviously went to some trouble to try and make this stuff taste somewhat like spare ribs, and don't get me wrong, it falls short of really tasting like them which is what I expected... but it gets closer than I thought it would. These have a pleasant smoky beefy bbq smell and taste about like they smell, as in nothing what I would expect them to taste like based on how they look. Overall, they're not bad. Do they taste like spare ribs? No. Do they taste good enough to eat? Yeah, I'd say so. They're not spectacular, but when ramen makers try to make a unique flavor like this I don't judge too harshly. I know it's not going to taste like what it says it will and take that into consideration. That being said I'm giving these a 6/10. I wanted to give them a 7 but it just wasn't that good. Good enough to eat, but not good enough to write home about.

*SEMI NON REVIEW RELATED NOTE*: I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I'm very, very tired so I realize I rambled some there in that post. I'm going to bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment